What Is Hygge?

11.12.16


If you've long been obsessed with all things Scandi like I have you're likely to have heard the word 'Hygge' knocking around; it seems to be the buzzword on social media and interior blogs at the moment and a lot of people are wondering what it all means... I did mention it in my last blog post 'My 2016 Christmas Gift Guide' so that might have sparked the 'what on earth is that?!' reaction I had when I first read it...


So what actually is it? And how do you pronounce it?!


'Hygge' (pronounced “HUE-gah”) refers to the Danish lifestyle craze that's seen something of an international hysteria of late; a concept roughly described as a feeling of comfort and contentment, enjoying life's simples pleasures, things and people. It's one often connected to the idea that the Danes are the happiest people in the world and that it's 'hygge' that provides the secret to their success. The craze has focused largely on the idea of making the ordinary special. Technology and modern day busy-ness has removed so many of us from ourselves, our homes and ordinary tasks, making them feel as though these things are chores, have no meaning/importance or are too time-consuming so they’re skipped or not enjoyed. It’s stopped us from being authentic and conscious of how we live and interact. Hygge is about celebrating reality and being present and transforming the ordinary into a moment to recognise instead. Ritualising everyday activities such as making a cup of coffee or having dinner; that means putting technology to one side and embracing simple practices such as lighting candles, purchasing flowers or brewing real tea in china cups'.

'Hygge is not a thing or something you buy...hygge is a state of mind' - Morten Georgsen​


So, how can we make our home feel more hygge?

So from what I've read and gathered on the subject of 'Hygge' my interpretation is that everything you spend your time on/in should be something you enjoy, something that makes you happy. Whether it be something as small as lighting a candle or hanging a picture you should be embracing life's simple practices. I think Hygge is interpreted by each individual differently so this is just my personal take on how I will incorporate Hygge...

- Feeling good. Making my Interior a space to feel at one with; a place I want to be, not what I feel it should be like. A place where I feel happy, comfortable and inspired. Whether that's by lighting candles or growing plants - being present and recognizing (and enjoying) the moment.


- Nature. When I visited Scandinavia during winter every interior I visited seemed to be compensating for the bleak outdoors; bursting with life, plants and greenery everywhere. I'd like to inject life back within my space, whether that's some fresh herbs in the kitchen or a beautiful plant to greet me in the hallway.


- Locate your favourite nooks. For me this is usually the corners of a room or space, the places where I enjoy a cup of tea or immerse myself in a book. Taking time to appreciate and make this space complete and adding whatever I feel appropriate to make it comfortable and cozy; usually candles, soft cushions and throws.


Overall 'Hygge' is trying to feel good in whatever you immerse yourself in. So whatever works for you, if you're happy it's working!

Hygge Wishlist


1, 2 ,


1, 2,

1, 2 , 3 

Happy Hygge'in! 

4 comments

  1. Hygge seems to be all the rage at the moment and I'm all for it - need to pick up a book for sure!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving it, yeah definitely recommend the books picked the Anthropologie one up last weekend and love it! x

      Delete
  2. Love Hygge! I seem to have been doing it without realising x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha me too! Glad it now has a name x

      Delete