A New Lens

9.2.16


Today talking pancakes of a diffrent kind, About two weeks ago now I took the plunge and bought a new camera lens, saying that when I say 'plunge' this wasn't that really a massive dent in my cash flow as far as cameras go! It's the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens priced at £130. I never really do 'techy' reviews but I thought if any of you are into photography for your blogs or just have an interest in photography in general it may be of interest...





I have built up a collection of four lenses now but I felt I was missing something from my kit. I wanted something similar to my Canon 50mm Lens; a prime lens that creates a gorgeous blurred background and sharp foreground but not so zoomed in. I found when I used the 50mm lens I was met with this problem. The focal length of the 50mm just didn't give me enough room to play around with photos, especially product photography; taking pictures from above was almost impossible without standing on a chair. So I decided to opt for the Canon 24mm which would still give me the lovely blurred background and bokeh on photos but at a wider angle. 

So my thoughts... I have to say I'm massively impressed with it. In terms of being a pancake lens it is TINY but, and don't quote me on this, I think it's maybe the smallest lens canon make? It makes my camera so compact, it fits in all of my handbags, this is massively handy as my other zoom lens was far too big for this. I feel like the portability of the lens being so small and light has really opened up a new photography world for me (as sad as that sounds) I honestly have had my camera with me everyday since buying the lens, it's so versatile, so far i've used it for portraits, landscapes and even very close up photography (as close as 16cm away from the subject). As mentioned above too the lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 so it lets in LOADS of light, meaning the camera works really really well in low light. 

In terms of the outcome something I noticed straight away on my photos were that they were really sharp, I read this as because it's a smaller lens there is a minimum amount of glass used making the photos extra sharp. It also gives a really natural perspective. The 24mm focal length when used on an APS-C EOS body gives the same angle of view as a 38mm lens on a full-frame DSLR. That’s close to that of the human eye, so my pictures had a natural look and feel about them. I've included some sample images I took of Muffin my cat so you can see for yourself. 

Overall I'm really really happy with it,  I feel like this has set me off wanting more lenses, I've been eyeing up a Sigma one for a while too; that's going to be the next purchase. If you want to read a really informative review on the lens and its specs I found this one really helpful before I purchased it (here). It's definitely my new favorite thing! If you're into your photography and have any lens recommendations for Canon I'd love to hear them in the comments! 

11 comments

  1. Looks like a great lens. Will add this to my camera wishlist! Your cat is really cute btw ;) x Chantal www.commedescoco.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting a lens like this for my camera! I have a 50mm lens but I still want something smaller! xx
    m0llylouise.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great step from the 50mm if your wanting something small and compact :-) xx

      Delete
  3. I would love this for my collection, specially for my shots in the summer of flowers and landscapes. Also you cat is very cute !! Great post thanks for sharing!

    Katie | http://ktmcgworld102.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Katie, glad you found it helpful :-) x

      Delete
  4. Lusting after this lens! Thanks for sharing :)

    Pingkan x | lifeofpingkan.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADDS TO WISHLIST IMMEADIATLE. (That is how I have just spelt immediately really quickly because I was honestly that excited). I've been looking for a new lens with a wider scope and this looks absolutely perfect. I love my 40mm for product shots but it's just too zoomed in - these shots are gorgeous!

    Megan xo
    Thumbelina Lillie | UK Beauty & Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks Megan! It's honestly so much easier having it zoomed out, especially for blog photos! Such a cheapy too, hope you do enjoy if you get it! Still must meet for a coffee date with yaa some time soon lovely xx

      Delete
  6. EXACTLY what I was looking for - those beautiful photos and awesome blog quality from your YT channel sold it to me instantly! Thanks a million for this blog post - would love to see more techy stuff from you 😘

    ReplyDelete