Do IPL's Really Work?

22.11.15


Hair removal is something almost every girl is familiar with, even if we would rather not admit it, it’s probably something we’re less familiar with in those winter months! Shaving is the bane of my life; it’s such a chore! I always tend to get waxed before going on holiday of for more special occasions but I have to say it bloody hurts! So when I heard about the Panasonic IPLI was intrigued...


So what IS an IPL? And is it the same as laser hair removal?


IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light and is a form of light therapy, used for various dermatological procedures including hair removal, it isn't the same as laser hair removal.


Unlike laser treatments, which emit a specific wavelength, IPL works like a flash-lamp sending out scattered wavelengths of light making IPL very targeted. That also means it affects the pigment in your skin too, so apparently IPL only really works for those with fair skin and darker hair. 



More importantly; does it hurt and does it work? 


Both my mum and I have given this IPL a go for over two months now and I have to whole heartedly say it’s amazing! My mum has much darker & thicker hair than I do; mine’s slightly blonder. I thought it might be good to test out on us both having different hair types to see what our results were like. We've both used this on our legs, arms and under arms weekly for the last two months. 


Verdict? The hairs are so patchy and thin; really hardly noticeable! For both of us! I was definitely able to not shave as much. Upon starting out with the IPL I used the lowest setting which is one out of five, you can gradually build up if your skin reacts okay with the IPL. At first I wondered if it was working but trust me, perseverance is key, I'm now using setting five. 

Upon pressing the IPL to your skin there’s a bright flashing bright light then you lift and move to the next spot, it is a little time consuming but so worth it! The best thing about it is that it really doesn't hurt and that's coming from a complete wimp! I think waxing really hurts so this is a walk in the park alternative, kind of like someone very softly flicking an elastic band on your skin. It’s really easy to do at home, I just sit on my bed and do this on a night time when I’m watching TV as it’s cordless. The only one downside I would say to the product is that there is a slight smell of burning hair when you use it, it really doesn’t bother me to be honest as long as it’s getting rid of the hairs...


I would definitely recommend the IPL for anyone looking for at home hair removal. Have you ever given this or something similar a go? What’s your thoughts?

No comments

Post a Comment