Gel Liners | Benefit or Maybelline ?

17.7.14
Benefit They're Real V's Maybelline Lasting Drama Liner Pen

Today I thought I would do a review of some of the new gel liner pens I've tried at the moment. I'm a huge fan of gel liners as you may have seen in my drugstore favourites video/post. I've usually always used a brush to apply them from a pot; I was intrigued with the pen like applicator on some of the new releases... 


First of all I’m talking the Benefit They’re Real Liner £18.50 I was SO excited for Benefit to release their They’re Real Liner as there was so much hype around it. Before it was released my friend at Benefit was kind enough to give me a sample to try. It’s fully released now but I have to say I'm very glad I tried the sample before purchasing. Unfortunately this product left me very disappointed. Lots of people had raved about it and I was desperate for it to be amazing but it just wasn’t. It was such a shame because I think it’s a great idea. The problem for me was the formula, its staying power wasn’t amazing, and within the first hour it was flaking onto my face which is stage for a gel formula as I expected it to not dry out. It was also quite difficult to get the right amount of product out of the tube, I found far too much product would come out and be wasted. Such a shame that it didn't work for me. 

Next talking a dupe… this being the Maybelline Lasting Drama Liner Pen £8.99 - This is a very similar product to the Benefit They’re Real. I figured if it was a different formula I might not have the same problems. I just bought the full size to test it as it’s much cheaper than Benefit’s They’re Real. I have to say I’m much more impressed. The formula of this gel liner stayed on my eyes and lasted throughout the day. The twist up mechanism is still a little annoying as similar to Benefit too much can tend to come out. The shape of the nib with both liners didn’t really bother me (as I know some people find it a little fiddly) the nib on the Maybelline liner was a little thicker and shorter whereas the Benefit liner was thinner. 

I have to say I’m not blown away by gel liner pens, I still prefer my pot of gel liner with a brush for precision, I think for now I will stick to my trusty potted gel liner. If I had to choose I would definitely say the Maybelline liner would be my personal choice, suppose it’s a bargain too! 

Have you tried any gel liner pens? What are your thoughts on them? Let me know In the comments bellow. 
Shop the post

No comments

Post a Comment