Rome

2.6.14

Today is 'Travel Monday' time again, this time taking a little flash back to when Luke and I went to Italy in November 2012. Rome was a fantastic city, it has a very romantic feel to it.






Trevi Fountain 




Piazza Navona











The Colosseum







The Vatican 



Sistine Chapel 




The Pantheon




(All of the above photos where taken on my old Nikon SLR, so apologies that the quality isn't as good as the camera I use now)

  I had never visited Rome so it was very exciting to see another part of Europe. We stayed in a little guest house that was about a 60 second walk from Piazza Navona, it was a fantastic central location surrounded by beautiful shops and restaurants. Rome was really pretty with its period architecture, its fountains and winding streets, it reminded me of a more traditional and historic version of Paris, Paris is one of my favourite places in the world therefore I think because I found the two similar this is why I enjoyed Rome so much.

As always I've included some pictures taken at some of the more iconic sights and spots around Rome.


Must do's

Colosseum
Piazza Navona
Trevi Fountain
The Vatican
Sistine Chapel
The Pantheon
Get gelato
Try authentic pizza and pasta

Optional 

Look in the Roman antique shops
Palatine Hill
Vittoriano Museum Complex

Tips

Be cautious when taking taxis. We noticed that on more than a few occasions we received a different price for the same routes we took by taxi and we were also told quite a few times that the driver's had no change, so they left with quite a hefty tip. We didn't really use public transport in Rome but if we went back we might consider it due to the fact we found the taxis quite unpredictable.

Take care when crossing the roads. I know this sounds like a pretty obvious and general tip that could be applied to anywhere but I would recommend taking extra care when walking around Rome. Cars travel crazy fast and from what I seen don't consider pedestrians crossing roads. Routes that also just appear to be paths for you to walk down also accommodate traveling vehicles, so beware.

Stay in a central area. Again this is a somewhat obvious tip but I just thought I'd mention it as we noticed when traveling from the airport to our hotel that the outskirts of the central city looked a bit dodgy (large groups of Italian prostitutes walking up and down the streets). Try and make sure your hotel is near central attractions.


Again I don't have a specific 'don'ts list', as not only was Rome amazing but I think it's important to do what you think you'll enjoy. I really loved it and can't wait to go back one day.

I hope you enjoyed this post, thanks for reading! 

6 comments

  1. I went to Rome a few years ago and loved it, although it was so so busy! We attempted going to some of the tourist attractions really early but they were still so crowded and busy! If definitely go back one day, I miss the amazing food!

    Chloe x
    newgirlintoon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh I want to go to Rome SO BADLY. Fab pics and great recommendations. I'll keep them in mind for when I do eventually get there! xx

    Katy | www.littlemisskaty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures of Rome are beautiful. I hope you had an amazing time :)
    emmasbeginning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments lovleys xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one place I've not been yet but really want to! Photos are gorgeous :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous pics cant wait to go there xx

    ReplyDelete