The Oily T-Zone

9.5.14




Today I thought I'd do an oily skin care post. I have oily to combination skin which is very sensitive with dry patches. A lot of people think that if you have oily skin you can't be dry and dehydrated too; that is a myth. I get oily on my t-zone, dry on my cheeks and I'm combination everywhere else. I thought I'd post a few of my favourite products to use for my skin type. Hopefully if you have oily skin you will find some of it helpful.

1. Simple Oil Balancing Wipes 

I rarely ever use wipes as I tend to stick to my usual skin care routine which consists of around 92364379 products (which is a whole other post) but when my skin decides it hates me and has a major break out (usually at that time, if you know what I mean ladies) these wipes are great. You have probably noticed if you have oily skin sometimes that rich moisturisers and other skin care products can make your skin breakouts worse and cause an over production of oil. Sometimes I find changing up my skin care routine when my skin is being problematic can be helpful. Just stripping back to basics and having some makeup free days and using only these on my face day and night work great for me. With all Simple products they have no parabens or harmful ingredients in them so great if you have sensitive skin too. They can be purchased from most drugstores - I got mine from Boots for £3.99.

2. Clean and Clear Blotting Paper

These blotting papers are revolutionary. If you have oily skin these are a major must have. They are basically little sheets that you blot onto your face that absorb any excess oil then once you've used a sheet you just throw it away. They are great on nights out or just to keep in your handbag throughout the day. Previous to trying them I thought they were a bit of a 'gimmick' and wouldn't work that well, but I was very surprised. You can even see the excess oil on the sheet when you have finished blotting which is rather gross; however satisfying knowing its not on your skin! I even tried these on my boyfriend Luke who has dry skin, I blotted his nose and managed to get some oil off. Definitely give them a go if you find your self always touching up your makeup due to oily skin or even if you don't wear makeup you can still use these.

3/4. Foundations

I have many foundations that I love but these two that I'm going to talk about are the longest lasting I've found for oily skin. There is a drug store and a high end that I'm going to talk about - Firstly starting with drugstore... Revlon Colour Stay foundation especially for oily skin in the colour Buff Chamois purchased for £11.99. I've previously reviewed this foundation which you may have seen or can read here, so I wont go into too much detail but it's an amazing foundation with a matt finish and quite a strong coverage that stays on my skin all day. It provides light weight comfort that makes you feel like you're not wearing much on your face and claims to look fresh for up to 16hrs (although I don't think I've worn it for that long it stays all day until I remove it).

And secondly high end... Estee Lauder Double Wear purchased from Boots fo£28.99. I love this foundation! I like to wear this on nights out rather than everyday use, however it is nice for everyday if you add a tad of oil free moisturiser to thin it out a little bit as it is quite strong coverage for everyday. It's a perfectly creamy consistency that glides on the skin. My shade is NC1 Cool Bone and it fits me perfectly. Previously I had issues with Double Wear's old formula but I could not fault this one. I would recommend this product to anyone and have done. As long as they make this product I will keep buying! 

5.Eye Base

Lastly an eye base. You may find if you have oily skin you also have oily eye lids, this can be annoying as without wearing a base eyeshadow creases and wears off throughout the day. There are a few bases or primers that I have stuck to for years now; Painterly by MAC being one of them. It has a light base colour to it to and evens out colour in eye lids and creates a barrier to oil on the lid meaning eyeshadow lasts all day. Even if you don't have oily lids I would always recommend a base underneath eye shadow to make colours appear truer and more pigmented. A few other alternative eye bases/primers that I love are are Urban Decay Primer Potion or if you want a two in one eye shadow and primer try Maybelline Colour Tattoos! All amazing for oily lids.

I hope you enjoyed my 5 top picks for oily skin :) I tried to do a mix of drugstore and high end.
Let me know what your oily skin care saviours are in the comments below!

8 comments

  1. I love this post I suffer from oily skin and breakouts too!! I usually tend to go overnoard on skincare when my skin is playing up so its interesting to see that you like to strip things back!! I will definitely have to try that! I also love double wear foundation but its a litte expensive for everyday wear I wonder if Revlon Colour stay is a cheaper alternative??

    Anyways lovely to read this I love these kind of posts:)

    thechinadolldiaries.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its definitely worth trying giving you skin a break, I find it helps me :) the colour stay foundation is defs a great alternative, you should give it a go xxxx

      Delete
  2. Oooh I've never heard of the blotting papers. My forehead gets quite oily throughout the day so these would be perfect to solve that. Thank you! xx

    Katy | www.littlemisskaty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have combination skin and oil is my number 1 worry. Definitely need to get my hands on some blotting paper by the sounds of it x

    Hannas’ UK Beauty | Lifestyle blog @ hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such good advice, I've always wanted to try blotting papers for my oily t-zone.

    P.xx
    GreyWalls

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have oily skin and recently have made a massive discovery... my skin is so oily because it is dehydrated! I have had to basically ignore what every beauty professional has told me, but my skin is so much better for it! I no longer use products designed to get rid of oil, but now use a lot of deep moisturising products and the difference is unreal. Seriously. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like we have a really similar skin type! I use literally all of these products haha I really like the Clean & Clear Morning Energy Shine Control Face Wash. I use it in the morning before I apply my make-up and I definitely feel like it helps keep my face matte throughout the day :)
    Bea x
    Bea's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete